Ladies! The cold months are finally here. Boots, coats, scarves ready to rock!. But wait a minute? What about our skin? Dry, read and patchy? I say no way José; there is always room for flawless goddess like skin.
So here I present you the top 5 tips to keep looking like a summer mermaid even on cold wintery days (minus the scales, and the tail, oh you know what I mean!).
1. Know your skin – First things first. Observe for changes! When the weather changes bringing cold wind and reducing humidity you may notice your skin type changes along with it. When it gets colder oily skin might turn into normal, and normal skin might turn into dry. Make sure you are using the right product for your “new” skin type and remember to reassess once the season changes again. This is a basic step many ignore as we tend to think our skin type remains the same for ever and it doesn’t! it changes, just like your wardrobe!
2. Use sunscreen – Many skin experts agree that the best way to keep your skin healthy and looking young is to protect it from the sun. One way of solving this fast and stress free is to get a foundation and moisturizer with UV protection included such as Olay Total Effects Moisturizer + Touch of Foundation not only moisturizes and slightly covers imperfections with its tint, but protects with a SPF 15. For a higher SPF protection the best buy is Supergoop! SPF 35+ Save Face A.M. Moisturizer – water resistant, packed with antioxidants and affordable. Skin heaven!
3. Exfoliate – Walking around with layers of dead cells on you skin isn’t a good look. Make sure you exfoliate once a week to get rid of dead cells which make you skin look dull and patchy. You can chose either to buy an exfoliator to make one yourself. Its super easy all you need for a basic exfoliator is sugar and olive oil. Mix and rub all over your skin applying some pressure but with gentle care. Rinse with lukewarm water and there you have it: baby skin. Do not over do the exfoliating; doing it too often will damage your skin.
4. Keep showers short and lukewarm – According to experts exposure to hot water and cold wind is the number one cause of rough, patchy skin during the colder months. Pat yourself dry after the shower and make sure you use a thick alpha-hydroxy body lotion such as Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion immediately after the shower. Alpha-hydroxy acids are those used in chemical peels – different concentrations determine the way in which they can be used. Chemical peels give us a similar result to Microdermabrasion reducing fine lines and giving a smoother appearance. Also make sure you put your fruity summer shower gel away and start using a creamy body wash, the less the soap and the more the hydrating the better for your skin on the colder season.
5. Give your Skin a Drink – and no, alcohol doesn’t count! Although it is important to drink lots of water it is also important to keep you skin hydrated. Try a weekly hydration treatment to keep your skin fresh and glowing. Hydration products such as AHAVA’s Intensive Hydration Mask should be used once per week. Also Hydrotherapy – Soak in a tub with warm water and some mineral crystals or treat yourself to a LUSH Bath Melt and enjoy the sweet aromas while your skin soaks up all the nutrients and you forget about all the finals and papers due.
Article Written for The Summa Newspaper. Nov 2011.