Yuum!! yes yuum indeed! Some people are quite fast on making a point on how “humans HAVE/SHOULD eat animals” – Ok! fine it that “tickles your fancy”, I won’t preach if you leave me alone! LOL… I rather not eat MEATballs and have Meatless balls instead that is my prerogative.
So putting that aside, let me tell you about this meatless balls… These meatless balls are so delicious and satisfying I dare any one (vegetarian, vegan or not) to try.
Here is how I made them!
One big eggplant
5 table spoons of cooked quinoa
1 small onion, diced
1 small red sweet pepper or half a red bell pepper.
Himalayan Pink Salt (crushed)
Panko bread crumbs
Pepper and Garlic Powder
1. First cut the eggplant and set aside with some Himalayan pink salt. This allows the eggplant to release some of its juices which we don’t need. Leave to rest for 10 mins.
2. Combine onion and pepper in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil. Add eggplant cut into small chunks. Try for them to be the same size (not like measure it with a ruler) but a uniform size will allow them to cook evenly. Add more salt if needed (but taste first) garlic powder and pepper.
3. Once cooked set aside to cool. Then pulse the mix in a food processor until you get a thick paste. Don’t over process or i’ll get too watery.
4. Then add the panko bread crumbs and quinoa. Mix well.
5. Make balls with your hands. You will have to squeeze excess water from them (egg-plant can hold a lot of moisture) then put the formed balls on a baking tray. I added a little bit more of crumbs to the try to prevent sticking.
6. Set the oven to 400 degrees and bake until golden brown.
And there you have it. Easy, healthy eggplant and quinoa meatless balls that you can enjoy on their own or with any other dish.
Let me know what you think if you make them!