In my family, there is a history of lactose intolerance and milk allergies. My brother, my mom, my son, and now my husband. So (cows) milk is often ruled out. Besides, we are not baby cows we don’t really need cows milk.(but that’s another story)
We have tried all different sorts of nut based milks. Almond, coconut, cashews, soy. My brother grew up on soy milk and my memories of it just don’t allow me to fall in love with it. I can’t stand the smell of Soy Milk and I also worry about its GMO status. I am more of an almond and coconut milk blend/mix kind of person. However sometimes we need something a little thicker, a creamer for that special cup of coffee or that spicy cup of chai tea.
So looking for a solution to this problem, I came across Nutpods and immediately contacted! I feel in love with their packaging and their vision of what a real creamer should be, and because I haven’t seen them at the local supermarkets. Nutpods agreed to provide me with some samples and boy! I am impressed… so let me tell you a little bit more about them.
We started our little company with a Kickstarter campaign in October 2013. The goal was to raise $30K to converting Madeline’s kitchen formula into a commercial formulation in preparation to launch. Thanks to the generosity of 510 backers, we successfully funded at $32,164! Thank you for your support in giving us the privilege to finally bring a deliciously creamy, wholesome option to the market!
Nutpods was born out of founder Madeline Haydon’s impatience for a wholesome dairy-free creamer that had the richness and creaminess of half & half. Madeline waited for years for a carrageenan and dairy free creamer and nothing, so she took matters into her own hands and developed a wholesomely delicious free of nasties ( titanium dioxide, mono and diglycerides, hydrogenated oils and carrageenan) nut based creamer.
Freedom to choose your own sweetness level, enjoy the rich creaminess that come from MCT-rich coconuts and the balanced taste with heart-healthy almonds. All free from GMOs, soy, dairy, gluten and artificial flavors/colors.
My chai latte has never tasted better! The consistency of the creamer gives the chai it’s characteristic thickness, and the taste is mellow enough to allow the spiciness of the chai come through magically. These two make a perfect pairing.
The beauty of these creamers is that you can get both sweet and unsweetened versions allowing you to add them not only to your beverage but to use them for a variety of dishes.Think of curries, adding to butternut squash cream soup, adding to dips or to mac and cheese.
While testing Nutpods I used the unsweetened, unflavoured version to make plant-based mac and cheese. Creamy, delicious, decadent and without a strong nut taste, the almond and coconut based creamer gave it the exact consistency it needed.
SHELLS AND CHEESE (VEGAN)
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of potatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Nutpods (original flavor)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp of chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp of hemp seeds (optional)
4 cups (dry) pasta
- Peel and coarsely chop carrots and potatoes. In a small pot, add enough water to cover carrots and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Cook until soft, and drain water.
- Add cooked carrots and potatoes and 1/3 cup of water to a blender or food processor, and purée. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add vegan butter and onions. Stirring occasionally, cook until onions are soft and transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over onion and butter mixture, gently stir and cook for about 1 minute. Decrease heat to medium-low.
- Add white wine, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Nutpods, almond milk, puréed carrots, pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes or until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Carefully put entire mixture into blender and mix on a medium setting for 1 minute or until onions are smooth and sauce is creamy.
- Boil a large pot of water and cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain macaroni water and stir in Nutpods cheese sauce.
- Add chia and hemp seeds before serving.
So where can you buy them?
If you, like me, are based in Texas you can find them online at BUY ME HERE
Nutpods are also available at some retailers, mostly on the west coast, FIND ME HERE
Also, find them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/nutpods
I promise you won’t be disappointed!